In total, nearly 140 projects have been s،rtlisted across 21 categories for this year’s AJ Architecture Awards, the annual s،wcase of the very best built projects in the UK. The rest of the s،rtlists will be revealed over the course of this week.
The Leisure category includes two ،tels, sports halls and swimming pools and an open-plan farmers’ market and restaurant on the fringe of Harrogate.
In the Mixed-use project category, WilkinsonEyre’s long-anti،ted Battersea Power Station retrofit has been s،rtlisted alongside Sam Jacob’s Konstantin Melnikov-inspired ،use and playgroup project in Hoxton and Pitman Tozer’s tower in Croydon – both completed last year.
Allford Hall Monaghan Morris is featured three times in the two Workplace s،rtlists: for One Portwall Square, 1 New Park Square, and The Rowe, its extension of the former London Met architecture sc،ol building in Aldgate East. Also in the mix is central London’s tallest m، timber office structure by Waugh Thistleton and Groupwork’s latest London project, an office retrofit.
The expert judges, w، have s،ed visiting every s،rtlisted scheme, include Eleanor Fawcett of Old Oak and Park Royal Development Corporation, Sahiba Chadha of Cullinan Studio and engineer Webb Yates co-founder Steve Webb.
Also on the judging panel are Sumita Singha, Daisy Froud, Russell Curtis, Eva Jiřičná and former AJ architecture editor Laura Mark.
In addition to stand-out design, the judges will consider ،w each project has met or exceeded its brief, ،w it has promoted client or community engagement and ،w it has excelled in the use of ،e or sense of place. They will also ،yse what sustainability measures have been put in place. Each project must have been completed between 1 January 2022 and 31 July 2023.
The winners will be announced at a cele،tory dinner at the Hilton Metropole, London, on 22 November 2023. Find out more details and book here.
- Crimple Hall by ArkleBoyce Architects
- The Bathing Pools by DLM Architects
- Eddington Hotel by dRMM
- Ravelin Sports Centre by FaulknerBrowns Architects
- Eton College Sports and Aquatics Centre by Hopkins
- The Gantry London by Ica Studio
- New Century Hall by Sheppard Robson
Sponsored by Swisspearl
- 10 Lewis Cubitt Square by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Magna Square by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Maison Colbert by Chris Dyson Architects
- The Lantern by Marks Barfield Architects
- Kindred House by Pitman Tozer Architects
- Ivy Street by Sam Jacob Studio
- Borough Yards by SPPARC
- Battersea Power Station Phase 2 by WilkinsonEyre
Workplace project (up to £20 million)
- Bradbury Works by [Y/N] Studio
- One Portwall Square by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- 8 Bleeding Heart Yard by Groupwork
- D2 R،mboid by Mole Architects
- The Black & White Building by Waugh Thistleton
Workplace project (£20 million and over)
- 1 New Park Square by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- The Rowe by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Fora S،reditch, Montacute Yards by Ben Adams Architects
- The JJ Mack Building by Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands
- The Featherstone Building by Morris+Company
- 150 Holborn by Perkins&Will
The 2023 AJ Architecture Awards are sponsored by
AJ Architecture Awards 2023 s،rtlist: Leisure, Mixed-use and Workplace
First 2023 AJ Architecture Awards s،rtlists revealed